East London Velo 6 Days of Winter – Cat 4s
East London Velo 6 Days of Winter 3 2014 – Cat 4s
4th cat circuit racing at Hog Hill.
The third race of the East London Velo 6 Days of Winter series held at Hog Hill (Redbridge Cycle Centre), NE Lonson on January 25.
Evangecidis and Heseler.
4th cat reports below with cat 2/3 to follow.
63 riders took to the line at Hog Hill for the 4th Category race today. Breezy but mild temperatures accompanied the fast pace and many riders were shelled from the bunch within the first lap. An early attack went away with Jason Creswell of London Phoenix and Callum Haseler of Cotswold Veldrijden developing a healthy gap on the bunch. After 4 laps away Creswell distanced Haseler who managed to hold off the bunch until the half way point of the race before eventually being reeled in, leaving Creswell to go it alone to pull the gap on the bunch out to 50 seconds. A touch of wheels brought 3 riders down on the hill including Tom Haines of ELV who managed to continue, one rider was forced to withdraw with a buckled wheel but luckily no injuries.
After 35 minutes of racing a sprint prime was offered and London Dynamo rider Alex Evangecidis attacked early on the hill and then kept on going, with no reaction from the bunch Callum Haseler took the opportunity to attack again and quickly bridged across to Evangecidis. Working together the pair put a safe distance between themselves and the chasers but were unable to bridge across to the leading Phoenix rider Creswell who was maintaining the 50 second gap over the field.
At 5 laps to go Robin Hawes of Plomesgate CC bolted from the bunch at the top of the Hogberg and pulled out 10 seconds on the bunch which he bravely maintained until the final lap.
The win was taken by London Phoenix’s Jason Creswell who looked very comfortable throughout, second and third were sprinted out between Evangecidis and Haseler, the early attacks from Haseler perhaps giving Evangecidis the edge who duly obliged. As the bunch powered up the hill Robin Hawes was furiously sprinting to avoid getting swamped before the line and only Mike Smith managed to get around him before the flag leaving Hawes a well deserved 5th place as the bunch powered through the line.
Evangecidis and Heseler sprint it out.
Robin Hawes and Greg Niziskiotis
1. Jason Creswell- London Phoenix
2. Alex Evangecidis- London Dynamo (Sprint Prime #1)
3. Callum Haseler- Cotswold Veldrijden
4. Mike Smith- Private Member
5. Robin Hawes- Plomesgate CC
6. Greg Niziskiotis- London Dynamo
7. Luke Lawrence- Private Member
8. Timothy Lynch- VC Dulwich College
9. Karl Thomey- Brixton Cycles
10. Tom Black- Private Member
11. Laurence Kirby- Welwyn Wheelers (J)
12. Pete Dyson- ELV
13. Paul Doble- Bishops Stortford CC
14. Mathew Wilkins- Dulwich Paragon
15. Ryan Martin- Ford CC
16. James Parker- Maison Du Velo
17. Tom Haines- ELV
18. Arnav Kapur- Dulwich Paragon (J)
19. Axis Kollaros- London Dynamo
20. Mitchell Blain- London Dynamo
21. Oliver Scott- Dulwich Paragon (J)
22. Jason Fitchew- Ford CC
23. Jean Rumbold- North Road CC
24. Christopher Hazelgrove- CC Hackney
25. Carsten Meilandt- Team White
26. Charlie Passfield- Private Member (J)
27. Jack Hardwicke- Plomesgate CC
28. David Ross- Fig CC
29. Freddie Liversidge- Private Member
29 finishers from 63 riders.